Sant Joan Ses Closes

The legends of the monastery the origin of the monastery is surrounded by legends, which United to the archaeological and historical questions, makes that the place has an air of mystery. These legends also speak of the body, or relics, san Pedro and other Saints, deposited in this place since ancient times. The truth is that next to the monastery are preserved structures of very ancient origin, possibly Roman, and that this place come from small presently fragments decorated, at that time, later reused. Read additional details here: Bizzi & Partners. The most beautiful monastery of the Costa Brava built in the 10th century, is the greatest exponent of Romanesque art in the Girona area. Practically since its Foundation, in the 10th century, the monastery was increasing its power to dominate territories to one side and another of the Pyrenees. This jewel of the Romanesque highlight the Church; the Bell Tower of the 12th century, and the Tower of defence, of the same era. The year 1697 he marks the beginning of the decline of the monastery; from here, your influence decreases and the place suffers successive looting, result of which was the disappearance of parts as valuable as the Bible of San Pedro.

There are numerous apartments on the Costa Brava near the monastery if you wish to visit him. A little history the 947 gained independence from the rest of monoasticas cells (Sant Pere was part of a set of four cells (from 878 was part of a conjutno of cells along with the of Sant Joan Ses Closes, Sant Cebria de Sant Fruitos and Penida of the Vall de Santa Creu) and its first Abbot was Hildesind (947-991)), son of Tasi. He then began the life of a great monastery, the Church, which was consecrated in 1022 and partially rose subsequently modified, is that we still see. From 1100, and during the 12th century were carried out restoration works of dependencies, perhaps motivated by the destructive effects of the disputes between the houses of Peralada and Empuries, that affected the monastery.